Saturday, April 21, 2012

On the sidelines

Untitled

Like you, I decided to take a different approach to documenting Good Friday this year. I decided that I'd rather my images were in black & white and shades of grey than the blood red, which -- admittedly -- made me slightly nauseous. I also tried to focus more on the sidelines, on the nuances, and on the smaller stories, sometimes finding symbols and meanings that I had not expected. There was also a mood within the crowd that I tried to translate through this sequence of images.

Even if this story has been told year after year in various ways, by photographers much better than me; even if this story has become almost ordinary or clichéd to some, I still feel it is worth an attempt, another consideration. In the process, I find myself trying to make sense of what I see and perhaps confront my feelings about culture and society. And through such attempts, I get to realize how lucky I am to grapple with the language that is photography, which adds another layer of complexity to how I experience and express life's stories.

Jo
042112

2 comments:

  1. Wow great photographs indeed, I really love taking photographs along the street. You can capture more stories than physical subjects :)

    Just blog hopping. Visit my photoblog @
    Adobo Photoshop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and for stopping by, Biboy! Cheers on your photoblog. :)

    ReplyDelete