Saturday, January 29, 2011

In the details

A worker's cutting board
Cutting board

Decadence and Corrosion
Decadence and Corrosion

Just like you, I carry around a small camera with me, in case something catches my eye wherever I may be. It's like an exercise, a meditation on ordinary life, or a way to record something that happens to fascinate or disturb me. To see something striking in the commonplace, to capture a moment, design or detail unnoticed by others -- for me, it's an assertion of being in the world, embracing curiosity and the need to find meanings, and a way to counter alienation and the dulling effect of modern life on the senses. I also take pictures out of sheer fun, just to show you what I had seen that day. It can be as simple as that.

Like this photo of a cutting board used by a worker to install small tiles in a neighbor's house, with bits of flowers and leaves that had fallen from an overhanging sampaguita tree. Or this shot of a rusty roof full of cigarettes, which I noticed outside of an ukay-ukay (secondhand store) -- an enormous ashtray created by the tenants in the upper floors.

The beauty and ugliness that we humans create never ceases to amaze me.

Jo
012911

No comments:

Post a Comment