Wednesday, February 1, 2012

of balloons, kittehs, and chinese lanterns

What struck me while visiting Chinatown during the eve of the Chinese New Year was how the traditional Chinese lanterns weren't that prominent. Rather, it was the balloons of suspiciously-not-properly-licensed-to-use characters being sold in the streets.

balloon seller at chinatown


They were like floating entities above the throng of humanity.

hello kitty above the crowd


But I did get my Chinese lantern fix that night. I found it along this street while getting down the Carriedo LRT station. This street, with its simple rows of Chinese lanterns, was to me, the Chinese New Year version of a solemn Christmas.

chinese lanterns


And going to Chinatown, you'd get the commercialized one.

Jordan
020112

No comments:

Post a Comment