Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Into the night

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I love shooting at night.

It's not always spooky, like in your photograph. Sometimes, I find night stories that are full of life -- where light (as sparse as it may be) illuminates, reveals conditions and commonalities, and shines from within the faces that I encounter. The night helps cloak my presence, and I just go with the flow, not thinking or planning, but allowing intuition to take over.

As you've reminded me before, the photo editor in me should be more deliberate about what shots I need to take and consider a shot list. Yet, there are instances when I don't think about lists or other specifics. I immerse myself in the moment and approach photography in as uncomplicated a way as I can. There are certainly different ways to create images -- what works for some may not work for others -- and I'm still too new at this to have a definitive approach. Nevertheless, there's much to be said about intuition and allowing one's natural curiosity and emotional response lead the way. At least, sometimes.

Jo
022812

*Photos taken in the Aeta community of Manabayukan, Capas, Tarlac. At night, the residents typically use candles, except for a few lights strung along the street and attached to small generators. With no TV or internet available, children continue to play outside under these lights. Parents and elders also come out to observe the children and gather later on for a bonfire and other social activities. From January 28-29, 2012, a cultural regeneration was held in this community and was attended by Aeta children from this area and other villages.

No comments:

Post a Comment