Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Moving past the feeling

The fall

When you introduced me to Arcade Fire's latest album, The Suburbs, and jokingly said it was Neil Young singing, I almost believed you, except that I'm familiar enough with Neil Young's voice to know better. Little by little, the songs on that album began to connect with me, and I wondered about their meanings.

When art has that certain quality -- which speaks to something familiar and yet makes me ask questions -- I feel a rush of excitement. I even get shivers when I encounter something so powerful or beautiful; shivers that, sadly, leave as quickly as they come. Other feelings, the ones that can bog me down, are not so easily lost. However, I can manage to move past them -- not to deny them, but to search for moments that bring more meaning to life.

Moving on, we search together.

Jo
102010



*A kite falling through the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment